Countering the Fear of SARSby: Mother Joy
How to Treat a Virus:
A Note to Concerned Parents
By Mother Joy, M.A.
After receiving a telephone call from yet another concerned parent with regard to this virus that is going around, I thought it might be helpful for other parents to have something in writing to ease their minds.
What seems to be going around here in the United States is NOT SARS, but a nasty little virus which can last for 3-5 days. My 14 year-old daughter’s symptoms were as follows:
- Fever vacillating between a low 99.5 to a high 101.8
- Sore throat
- Loss of appetite
- Chest congestion
- Dry and cracking nasal membranes
- Mild body aches
After 2 full days of treatment, she is feeling much better and no longer has a fever. The medical advice we were given was that she had a virus which would simply have to run its course. However, to make your child more comfortable and possibly accelerate his/her recovery, you may want to try what I did…
1) Give child 2 Ibuprofen every 3-4 hours to ease body aches and to assist in reducing fever;
2) Rub child’s body down with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol every hour or so to assist in bringing down fever;
3) Rub child’s chest area with Vick’s Vapor Rub every 3-4 hours;
4) Have him/her gargle with Listerine or a milder generic brand of antiseptic mouth wash;
5) Spray throat after gargling with Chloraseptic throat spray;
6) Have child drink Robitussin in a warm glass of heated orange juice to relieve chest congestion;
7) If the child has an appetite, try to have him/her eat a warm bowl of chicken noodle soup.
NOTE: He/she should at least try to eat something even if she has no appetite, otherwise he/she may become nauseous when taking meds (ibuprofen) on an empty stomache.
8) If the child is cold, place him/her under a heating pad and/or place a small space heater in his/her bedroom on low to keep the room toasty warm.
9) Spray home (especially child’s bedroom and linen) with Lysol disinfectant spray every hour or so to counter the spreading of germs.
10) Wash hands and use disinfectant hand gel frequently while treating your child to avoid passing germs on to others as well as yourself.
11) At some point, when you see that your child is feeling able to get up and move around a bit, run him/her a warm bath. Add 1 cup alcohol and 1 cup apple cider vinegar to bath water. Showers are also helpful in reducing fever (hot then cold).
12) If the child has cracking and/or bleeding nasal membranes, gently clean out nostrils with hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip. Add a very thin layer of vick’s vapor rub to inside of nostrils using a q-tip.
Additional Helpful Hints…
1) Initially, if child’s temp is moderately high, place a few Ziploc bags of ice under arms, between legs and around neck (always wrap bags in a thin towel for a ‘moist cold’) and cover the child’s entire body with a comforter or blanket.
2) Have him/her gargle with warm salt water.
3) Check child’s temp every hour. If temp rises to or above 103 degrees, he/she may have an infection which may require medically prescribed antibiotics. You may want to try Echinacea to strengthen child’s immune system and/or visit a doctor for a good prescription antibiotic.
4) Change child’s toothbrush once the fever goes down.
5) Give lots of liquids…filtered water, peppermint tea, lemon tea, chamomile with honey, etc.
6) If child is unable to sleep, give Nyquil in a little warm orange juice and/or Acetaminophen PM.
7) James 5:14,15 of the Holy Bible gives the following advice:
"Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, and anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."
Regarding Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
The illness causes high fever, muscle aches and shaking chills, followed by coughing and labored breathing. It has proven fatal in 4% of reported cases…Health officials say it is prudent for people who have visited Asia to monitor any signs of fever and to immediately seek medical help if in doubt…The largest increases occurred in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China, with 45 new cases, and Canada, with 8 new cases. The United States of America reported 8 additional suspect or probable cases….
Because of the smoldering outbreaks in China and Hong Kong, health officials have advised travelers to avoid those countries. No such warnings have been issued for Canada…The chances of anyone getting SARS in the Canadian population are extremely low, and in the United States, even lower.
Additional information about SARS can be found on the web at the following locations:
Concerned parents may feel free to call Mother Joy at 1-800-275-5336 ext. 0221429.
"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." - III John 2
Miracles & Blessings,
Return to article list | Discuss this article | Submit an article
Submit an article to spiritualminds.com